Tuesday, August 11, 2009

end of life decisions

OK . . . so I turn 65 and have an appointment for my medicare physical. The doc, my doc, because I get to keep the one I have now, suddenly knows nothing about my end of life decisions, because over 20+ years we never, NEVER talked about it. "DD you should really start to think about end of life issues and how you want to be treated medically".

"Oh, my god, man, spit it out . . . is it my heart? melanoma? liver? prostate?"
"No, calm down. we just need to talk about it. I get an extra 25 bucks when i submit this . . . we just need to talk about this now."
"Oh, my, wow, you had me going there. I thought I was half dead. Good one, doc. Can I have a hit of the O2?" "Well, I guess if it came down to it and there were extraordinary means necessary to prolong my aging body, I would . . . want . . . um, you to spare no expense, get me every test and consult and life saving machinery to keep me alive until someone can diagnose and save me. Get that 'House' guy."

Now, this is a conversation between me and my doctor. As we all know this is the most sacred of all conversations that can take place. Just ask women, they know.

And my doctor will respect my wishes and fight for my rights.

Or is this all really just a crock of crap and once you hit a certain age, you can kiss your coverage and your butt goodbye.

You know the answer and Sarah Palin knows the answer . . . and so does Obama

No comments: